Monday, September 29, 2014

My Friend the Enemy



I got a little heavy handed on NetGalley and as a result I had a bunch of books that needed to be read by October 1st.  After this one I have one left.  Then I have one to finish by October 2nd.  Plus the pile by my bed.  Can I just quit work and all its drama and read?

Anyway, Peter's father is away frighting in Africa during World War II.  At the very beginning of the book Peter witness a plane crash.  He notices a parachute but that soldier seems to disappear until Peter and his new friend Kim stumble upon him.  Worried that the soldier will be shot and wanting to do what is right and what they hope someone would do for Peter's father or Kim's brother they hide the soldier.

There was a lot of action in the story and some good war details.  I enjoyed the book quite a bit.  What put me off a bit was the innuendo about Peter's mom and the landowner Mr. Bennett.  Why was he hanging around so much?  Were the two involved?  I just didn't feel it was necessary and it will keep me from purchasing the book for my library.  I also felt it ended weirdly - had a letter from the soldier and a reference to Peter and Kim meeting years later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment