Sunday, January 7, 2018

I Love You, Michael Collins















And with this book I am officially done with my 2017 NetGalley and Edelweiss requests.  I have started some 2018 but I can focus on some 2017 stragglers in my piles in my room - mainly those that publishers have sent that no one has gotten to and maybe a few that I know will end up on our shortlist (or shorter books - poetic narrative, graphic novels).  How many more books can I read before our January 20th MSBA meeting ;0

This was a great book.  My one complaint is that some of Mamie's letters are really long and would she really keep writing to Michael Collins everyday?  Maybe because of the situation she was in...

Mamie's class has been asked to write a letter to one of the 3 astronauts going up in Apollo 11.  Everyone chooses Buzz Aldrin or Neil Armstrong.  Mamie chooses Michael Collins mainly because no one else does.  After her initial letter Mamie keeps writing to him - it is her way of sharing her discoveries and processing the events in her life including her mom's leaving.

There is a lot to love in this book.  Mamie is an honest character and her friendship with Buster is lovely.  While there is a lot of chaos around her Mamie is able to "stay with the ship" much like Michael Collins did.

No comments:

Post a Comment