Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Story of Seeds

















I found this book to be very interesting and as a consumer it wasn't something I have really thought about.  It started with a discussion of genetics and Mendel's experiments but then it went on to talk about GMOs and the efforts being made to preserve the seeds of the thousands of varieties of plants.  The problem is that we have limited or consumption to only certain varieties of plants and it can lead to devastating results such as the potato famine in Ireland.  In some cases organizations are controlling the seeds instead of letting farmers grow different varieties.

As I said I found this quite interesting.  The level is too much for my school (up to 5th grade) but I could see this in a middle school or high school library especially as students become more active in causes.

No comments:

Post a Comment