Sunday, June 7, 2015

Survival Strategies of the Almost Brave

Image result for survival strategies of the almost brave 

This is the story of Liberty and Billie.  Their mother has recently dies and their long lost father has come to take care of them.  The book opens however with the girls sitting at a gas station and their father has left them there.  What follows is Liberty's attempt to protect her sister, get in touch with her mom's best friend, and avoid the painful truth about her father.

I enjoyed the book but did find a lot of times where I had to suspend belief - they rode in a car and then a truck for hours without being discovered?  Then the 2 Star Wars boys just beating each other up?  A bit much to take.  The ending as well was hard in that the father was really messed up and it did paint anxiety, depression, etc in a pretty bad light.  

I am torn between whether I would actually want my students to read this.  Would it make their lives seem better by comparison?  Or would some unfortunately relate too much?  They wouldn't mind the plot problems like I do...  Have to think more about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment