Friday, June 12, 2015

Samurai Rising

 Image result for samurai rising the epic life
This book isn't set to be published until next February according to NetGalley so this is a way early review.  This was the story of Minamoto Yoshitsune.  I did not know much about Samurai before reading this so I definitely learned a lot.  There was a ton of back matter and obvious research.  What I found odd at times was the author's voice.  At times it was very conversational and modern with even a bit of humor but for the most part the presentation was straightforward.  I would have enjoyed more consistency in the way the material was presented.  I actually liked the more conversational tone but it was jarring because of the inconsistency.  I think students who are interested in Samurai would find this interesting but probably older readers than my particular students.

No comments:

Post a Comment