Sunday, May 3, 2015

She Takes a Stand

Image result for she takes a stand book michael ross 

This book highlighted the work of 16 women who took a stand about various issues that pertain(ed) to women.  Some were well known like Malala and Ida Wells and some not as well known.  Some were from a 100 years ago or more and some were more recent.  I enjoyed the book and learning about the lives of these women and what issues they tackled.  I loved reading about the woman from Guatemala who stood up for the indigenous people there since I have been to Guatemala several times.  Some of the issues - birth control, sexual freedom - were more for an older audience than my 1st - 5th graders so I will likely not purchase it for my library.  I do feel it would be a good resource at the junior high and high school.  Even though each story is rather short it may spur further research.

No comments:

Post a Comment