Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Starring Jules (As Herself) by Beth Ain


 Starring Jules by Beth Levine Ain
This was a very cute book.  Jules was a great quirky character with some typical friendship issues.  It was nice to see during the course of the book that some of the friendship issues were resolved.  I loved the tryout Jules did for the commercial and her reaction to the orange mouthwash - very funny.  The story left the reader hanging as Jules got an offer to do a movie.  As part of the committee I am on I am looking for books for grades 4 - 8.  When I finished reading this I was left thinking it was cute but there wasn't a lot of substance.  I was thinking it would be good for fans of Junie B Jones, Judy Moody, and similar characters.  In my grade 4 - 6 school I may get some of my lower readers to pick it up.  I order my books through Titlewave for my library and I was very surprised that this book was rated at a 5.4 reading level.  I don't really see many of my 5th graders reading a book about a girl who is about to turn 8.  I will give it a Ribbet and it will be in my library mostly because my school will be changing to grades 1 - 5 next year and the 2nd and 3rd graders will like it.











In other news I have decided to use images of the book cover in my entries.  I debated it mostly because as a librarian I wanted to make sure I was following copyright guidelines so even though almost everyone else uses images I wanted to make sure it was okay.  I did some research and looked again at the fair use guidelines and based on what I understand it is okay to use the cover image.  My intentions with this blog are to promote books and I think it is helpful to potential readers/buyers to see the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment