Wednesday, May 9, 2018

The Island at the End of Everything


















I am still mulling over my thoughts about this book.  My reading has been very disjointed.  I have my 30 minutes on my elliptical in the morning but those are my hoarded eBooks on NetGalley and Edelweiss.  It is harder to get my evening physical copy books in - too many late days at work, evening and weekend commitments.  I read a bulk of this last weekend but just got around to finishing it tonight.  I know I liked the beginning liked the ending but the middle is a bit hazy...

Amihan lives on an island that has been set aside for lepers or "the touched".  Her mother has leprosy, she does not.  A decision has recently been made by the government that requires all lepers to move to the island.  Children not showing signs of the disease are forced to go live on another island in an orphanage.  The man in charge of the relocation and orphanage is awful!!  Amihan makes some friends on the island but misses her mother dreadfully.  When she finally gets one of the letters that the director has hidden from her she founds out her mother is even sicker than before.  Amihan and her best friend Mari and a young boy escape from the island and make it back to the other island in time for Amihan to see her mom before she dies.

Then there is an epilogue of a few chapters at the end...  which brings some closure to a wrong committed and friendships broken apart.

Lovely writing and a good story...  Can be compared to Beyond the Bright Sea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment