Thursday, August 7, 2014

A is for the Alchemist

 

Reviewing books is hard.  I love to read and I definitely have strong opinions about whether I like a book or not, but if I don't like a book particularly well I feel bad about giving a bad review.  The author spent a lot of time writing the book, the publisher thought it was good enough to publish, and there are people who probably like it.  I feel like I need to be honest...

So with that intro you may think that I hated this book.  No, I didn't...I just didn't love it.  Winnie is a bright young girl who has invented a singing robot for a STEM fair.  Her brother plays football but hasn't done all that well recently.  There is a pet cat, a dog who is ashamed of his past, an evil alchemist who just happens to need someone or something to sing an aria for him, a metal hawk, and various rats and pigeons.  Oh and don't forget Grandpa who may or may not be a superhero.  

I guess I was expecting for of an A-Z mystery feel and this is not that type of book.  It was a bit crazy.  I think if there are kids who totally buy into this then the series will be successful but it just wasn't my cup of tea.  I have noticed that it has gotten good reviews on Amazon and Goodreads so maybe I will be the lone dissenter...sorry :(

No comments:

Post a Comment