Saturday, May 17, 2014

Caminar by Skila Brown

 

When I heard about this book I knew I had to get it.  Like the author I have been to Guatemala several times and have always been curious about the long civil war and the stories that the old ones could tell.  The country is still restless and one can still see and feel repercussions from that time.

Caminar means to walk and this is the story of Carlos and his walk, his journey, his coming of age, and decision making in Guatemala in 1981.  Guatemala is involved in a Civil War but many of the people who live in the villages don't understand the conflict, don't know who to trust, and just want to be left alone.  The army comes to Carlos' village and demands names of Communists and a name is finally given to the army but more out of jealousy than fact.  A few days later a rebel group comes through.  After that the army comes back, maybe thinking the village harbored the rebels and destroys the village, killing many of them.  Carlos had gone on an errand for his mother and hid in a tree.  Once he realizes he is safe he has to decide where to go and what to do.  He decides to go up the mountain to his abuela (grandmother) but along the way he meets the same band of rebels.  Should he stay with them and fight.  Everything comes to a head when he hears the army going to his grandmother's village,

The story is told in poetic narrative and is quite powerful.  I enjoyed the book very much...my question will be what ages will appreciate it and how much my enjoyment came from my background knowledge. 


No comments:

Post a Comment