Thursday, March 13, 2014

Carly Keene: Braving the Brontes by Katherine Rue

  

I got this book on NetGalley and it intrigued me.  Literary detective sounds cool and I always love a good time travel book.  The premise was cute.  Carly found an old book store, was given Jane Eyre by the mysterious owner and when she sat down to read it she was transported to 1846 at the Bronte house.  There she met the 3 Bronte sisters, their brother, and father.  She eventually comes to find out through the ghost of Maria, a Bronte sister who had died many years earlier, that she must get the sisters to write their books and she must read Jane Eyre in order to go home.

So yes, I liked it but mainly because I had background knowledge about the Brontes, have read Wuthering Heights, and Jane Eyre, and happen to like historical fiction/time travel books.  But my students?  I fear they will not pick it up - most of the intended audience have no background knowledge about the Brontes and don't read much historical fiction.

For the right audience this would be a readit....but it will have to be pushed I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment