Saturday, September 8, 2018

March Forward, Girl


















This was an eye-opening account of Melba's life up to the Little Rock Nine's integration of Central High.  I appreciated the context and how she felt about what was going on around her - her fears, her comfort, the challenges.  I do wish there had been more about the actual integration and her life afterward - only one chapter and the epilogue for that.  As far as my library - I will put it in the library but would have a bit of trouble overly promoting because of what almost happened to her at the hands of the KKK and how her appearance caused unwanted attention.  I am glad it is mentioned but with the ages I work with it can be a sensitive subject and not all at that age are ready to read about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment