Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The Book of Boy

















Oh the controversy.  I heard a booktalk about this book in early May and had placed it near the top of my pile to read.  Then 2 other people on my committee read it and both raised "concerns" about the religious aspects.  So, of course I needed to read it.

If you don't already know.  I am a Christian.  My father is a pastor in upstate NY but I am a Christian because it is what I believe.  It is pretty uncommon really in my dual profession - teacher and librarian to be conservative.  I often feel like I am a long voice.

So why the religious concerns?  This book is set in the middle ages - a time of pilgrimages and superstitions.  Boy, a hunchback, is hired (loosely speaking) to accompany a pilgrim in search of religious relics.  Secundus, the pilgrim, has his reasons for wanting the relics and is not always honest in the way he acquires them.  At first Boy is hoping to get home in a few days but as he learns of the quest and the ultimate destination in Rome he decides to stay with Secundus and try to get his only wish.  I won't spoil what Boy wishes for or some of the surprises along the way.

So, Middle Ages and religious relics.  So there is a lot of talk of heaven, hell, St. Peter, St. Paul, superstition, etc.  Pretty typical for a book set in the Middle Ages if you ask me.  Is the concern that "religious" parents will find it offensive because it in some way mocks that era and the obsessive search for relics.  Or is the concern that it is too religious for those who want nothing to do with religion at all.  Honestly I found it funny and could appreciate the humor in it - so I wasn't offended.  But I guess I can't really speak for those who might find too much talk of heaven, hell, etc offensive.

In all, it was a pretty fun book.  It is not perfect and I think it would be a hard sell but as a historical fantasy it had some charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment