Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau



 

I do like a good Dystopian novel.  I know some people are sick of them but I love the world building.  I did like this one but there are some flaws.  Cia Vale has always wanted to be picked for The Testing and get the privilege to go to the University.  But, it isn't all she hoped.  Warned by her father who had himself gone through the testing but has no memories of it except occasional nightmares Cia prepares herself as best she can.  The Testing itself is very Hunger Gamish - puzzles to solve, who to trust, teenagers turning on each other.  Again, I liked it but there are probably too many similarities to Hunger Games and even the Uglies series to make it really stand out.  For the audience I typically work with the romance and some language probably puts it out of range.  

I give it a ribbet because I like Dystopian books but I won't be purchasing it for my library.



No comments:

Post a Comment