Monday, September 7, 2015

Took

Image result for took hahn book 

I have been reading books by Mary Downiung Hahn.  I read Wait Til Helen Comes to every 4th and 5th grade class I ever taught (except one - got a parent complaint that it was too scary).  Some of her other books I have loved and other not so much.  This one...was good.

Erica (my daughter's name) and her family are drawn to move to an old, run down place.  Why?  Becuase it is time for Auntie to get a new girl.  Every 50 years Auntie kidnaps a girl to keep as a servant.  Daniel, Erica's brother, has heard the stories, but who would believe it.  That is, until Erica disappears and Selene, a girl who went missing 50 years ago, comes back.

Deliciously creepy - with a doll, urban legends, etc.  For kids who like creepy...this is it.  It did bother me how physically abusive Auntie was but other than that...

No comments:

Post a Comment