Saturday, June 7, 2014

Wanderville by Wendy McClure

 

I have read all the Little House Books and always loved the first Boxcar Children book so this reminded me a bit of both of them.

Through tragic circumstances brother and sister Francis and Harold and also Jack find themselves on an orphan train headed from New York to Kansas.  When rumors of the conditions in Kansas reach them they decide to escape.  Once they get off the train they meet Alexander who has created a "town" called Wanderville "where all children in need of freedom are accepted".

Up to that point I enjoyed the book and liked the concept but when all their food and supplies had to be "liberated" from the nearby town I wasn't as interested - call me old fashioned I guess but I'd like to see more in the way of them figuring out how to survive without stealing. 

There is a sequel planned and maybe that will result in better choices for them...this just didn't work out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment