Friday, August 2, 2019

The Other Half of Happy

















I wanted to like this so much more than I did.  It features a half Guatemalan girl who is going to my beloved Lake Atitlan.  But alas, it was longer than I thought it should be and there was too much going on.

The main plot involved Quijana's attempt to get out of going to Guatemala for Christmas.  She knows very little Spanish and knows she will be overwhelmed and embarrassed.  Subplots include: her grandmother's battle with cancer, the struggle to figure out what might be wrong with her younger brother, her first crush, a major argument with her dad.  It was all a bit much - with so many threads I found it hard to care about the main thread I guess.  

I am not sure where in Texas they were flying from to get to Guatemala but 7 hours?  It takes 2 1/2 hours from Miami...

No comments:

Post a Comment