Saturday, August 25, 2018

Good Dog


















My strategy for the Maine Student Book Award is to try and read books that no one else has found, no one else has read.  Do you know how many middle grade books are published in a year?  100s, 1000s?  I request (hoard) books from NetGalley and Edelweiss, read books the publishers send (BIG thanks) and read SLJ to find great reviews.  So many books still on my lists.  If I have requested it on NetGalley or Edelweiss I do read it even if someone else has - gotta keep my ratings up but other than that I usually organize books that others have read by rating and wait to see if they make the short list.

Not so with this one.  I believe 4 or 5 people on the committee have already read and reviewed this but I decided to as well.  Why?  Mainly to get it into my library.  Dan Gemeinhart is visiting my school at the end of September and I want my students to have an opportunity to read this. 

Brodie is dead.  He has a few memories - his boy, a monster, fear, and death.  He must get back to his boy and fix things, help him, save him.  But going back is risky - there are those who have returned who have lost their souls and a new return with soul lights is ripe for the picking.  But Brodie is a good dog and he must get back.  So he does.  Tuck, another dog, goes with him and they meet a cat, Patsy early on who "helps" them.  But as a ghost what can Brodie actually do?  Can he help Aiden, his boy?

This was fabulous.  Lots of heart and action.  I was worried about how it might play out but never fear.  I mean the dog is already dead right?  Can't wait for students to read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment